Excitement surrounding the Western Medical Student Ultrasound Symposium is growing, with less than two weeks before the scanning begins. Below are some quick facts on the national event, which is the first of its kind accessible to Canadian medical students across the country:
- To take place August 24 and August 25 at the state of the art Canadian Surgical Technologies and Advanced Robotics facility at London Health Sciences Centre in London, Ontario
- Imagined and organized by a group of medical student leaders at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at Western University
- Recipient of the Hippocratic Council Innovator Grant and Canadian Federation of Medical Students Student Initiative Grant
- Ultrasound equipment provided by SonoSite Canada and Philips Canada
- Event officially endorsed by the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians
- Nationally attended event, with 36 students (and a 20 person wait list) from 8 different Canadian medical schools participating
- Over a dozen faculty and residents volunteering their time in support of the event
- Special appearance by internationally recognized experts in bedside ultrasound, Matt Dawson and Mike Mallin
- Primary goals:
(1) For participants to acquire new knowledge and skills proving useful in their future medical education and careers;
(2) To ignite a passion for bedside ultrasound that participants will share with colleagues at their home institutions; and
(3) To generate momentum for formally integrating more point-of-care ultrasound training in undergraduate curricula
To Canadian medical students: We do hope to make this an annual event. Consider following Western Sono on Twitter to ensure you’re one of the first to hear about next year’s symposium!
The medical student organizers of this year’s event have put together a comprehensive workbook that they hope serves as a valuable resource both during the symposium and beyond. Anyone can access this workbook by clicking on the image below. Be sure to return to Western Sono in early September for photos and a recap of the event.